Thread: Linking depression and eczema to nickel toxicity in dental work

Default Linking depression and eczema to nickel toxicity in dental work

By Joe Graedon and Teresa Graedon, Ph.D.
    Syndicated columnists

Q: I suffered with eczema for years. It was so bad that my sheets were bloody when I woke up. The intense itch in my hands was torture.

I saw numerous doctors, including dermatologists, who prescribed steroid creams and prednisone.

I was at the end of my rope when a doctor suggested the nickel in my dental partial was affecting me.

Once I got rid of the metal, my hands started to clear. Surprisingly, so did my depression.

I doubt that I am the only one suffering with eczema and depression as a result of nickel toxicity. I am so glad that my eczema is finally almost all gone.

A: Dermatologists have known about nickel allergy for years. Usually it is seen as contact dermatitis. This can show up as a rash or irritation where the snap of a pair of jeans touches the belly. Rings or earrings also may trigger a reaction.

Dentists have reported reactions to nickel in orthodontic appliances and other dental fixtures. Thank you for sharing your story.

Q: I was overweight, with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I was taking three different medications (plus a statin to lower cholesterol) and living in a kind of "fog," with decreasing hope. I stumbled upon information that screamed, "Lose weight to save your life!"

I lost pounds and the four medications. I replaced them with natural supplements (vinegar, cinnamon, chromium picolinate, fenugreek, turmeric, etc.) and exercise. Besides the weight and the medications, I also lost the terrible side effects that had resulted from all those meds.

A: Although doctors may not have time to coach people on the specifics of using diet and exercise to achieve better health, a person who dedicates himself to do this can do wonders. We congratulate you.

Q: I have bitten my fingernails for years. I've stopped several times for as long as six months, but just like a smoker, I can't kick the habit for good.

The biggest problem is when I'm reading, watching TV or a movie, or driving. It leaves my fingers and cuticles ugly and very sensitive. How can I quit?

A: There are surprisingly few well-controlled studies of treatments for nail biting. Many health professionals view this habit as a manifestation of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Some data suggest that cognitive behavioral therapy could be effective (Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, May 2009).

Over-the-counter approaches involve painting bitter-tasting substances on the nails to remind the person to stop biting. They include products such as Mavala Stop or Control-It!, with denatonium. Some people also find that clear nail polish helps remind them not to bite their nails.

A preliminary study suggests that the nutritional supplement N-acetyl cysteine also may be helpful in stopping this habit (CNS Spectrums, July 2009). This nutraceutical may help with impulsivity.

Default Re: Linking depression and eczema to nickel toxicity in dental work

Không biết trong này có ai bị dị ứng chất kền không.