PDA

View Full Version : W - Who Is Jesus?

Dan Lee
01-08-2011, 03:41 PM
WHO IS JESUS?

Elmer Karas took his family on a visit to Washington and, while there, they visited the House of Representatives which was in session. One of Elmer’s kids, Tommy, was interested in the opening prayer of the chaplain.

“Papa,” he asked, “why do they have, the very first thing, the preacher pray for Congress?”

“He is not praying for Congress, son,” Elmer replied. “He bows his head and then prays for the country.” (James. E. Myers. Treasury of Religious Humor, p. 115).

The new Congress has started last week. There have been a lot of discussion, expectation and anticipation about the new congress. There will be a new Speaker of the House. There will be new chairpersons on different committees in the Congress. And at the White House - new folks are coming in and old folks on their way out. There will be a new press secretary, a new chief of staff, a new head of the national Economic Council. People are waiting to see new things happen from Washington. Our leaders are trying to carry out their promises to their voters. They are the debating about the health care law, how to create more jobs and to get out of the economic crisis.

The Baptism of Jesus

Today we celebrate the Baptism of the Lord. The Church is calling us to shift our attention to another new beginning. This is Jesus’ inauguration. This is the beginning of a new era. Jesus is resolved to fulfill not human promises but God’s promises. The first words of Jesus in the Gospel: "Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfill all righteousness.”

To fulfill means to “carry out,” “to act in accord with,” “to make it happen,” or “to meet all the requirements.” And righteousness means God’s fidelity and right relationship with His people. Jesus’ statement implies a sense of "prophetic fulfillment." He is to bring to completion the intended purpose and goal that God has intended in the prophets and the law for the human race. Later He reaffirms, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill" (Mt 5:17). But who is Jesus Christ?

Son of God

Following the baptism, Jesus ascends from the water; heaven opens, and the Spirit comes upon him. A voice from heaven declares, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” This is a public revelatory moment. God officially introduces His Son, Jesus Christ, to us. This declaration of Jesus’ identity as Son of God is drawn from the first reading, “Here is my servant whom I am pleased.” The servant mentioned in the First Reading is the first of the four “Servant Songs” in Isaiah. This particular servant has been formed, called and charged with very specific missions. The mission of the Servant is to bring justice to the nations, but not damage anything or anyone who is weak or small. We understand this servant to be Jesus, the Messiah. Jesus, himself, announces that he is the fulfillment of this prediction.

Jesus’ identity as the Son of God has been presented to us throughout the Christmas season. At first, the angel announces to Mary that she will conceive and bear a son, and shall name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High. Also to Joseph, the angel of the Lord informs him in his dream that “It is through the Holy Spirit that this child has been conceived. And he will name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” At Christmas we celebrate Jesus’ becoming human. It is also a private moment of entering the world. The angel informs the shepherds, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For today in the city of David a savior has been born for you who is Christ and Lord.” At the Epiphany, Jesus is introduced to the Three Wise Men from the East. They come and adore Him.

At Jesus’ baptism, God the Father publicly declares to the world, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am pleased”. God introduces Jesus to the world and for the world. He has been born for us. He is the Son of God not only because of his mysterious divine origin but also because of his commitment "to fulfill all righteousness." God wants us to believe that Jesus is the Son of God and to accept Him as our Savior!

The Servant

Through his obedience, Jesus demonstrates that he is truly God's Son. He comes as a servant to serve God and to serve the human race. The servant mentioned in the First Reading is the first of the four “Servant Songs” in Isaiah. This particular servant has been formed, called and charged with very specific missions. The mission of the Servant is to bring justice to the nations, but not damage anything or anyone who is weak or small. We understand this servant to be Jesus, the Messiah. Jesus, himself, announces that he is the fulfillment of this prediction.

Many prophets as well as Israel itself saw themselves as servants of the Lord. We are also servants of the Lord. We are here in the world to fulfill the missions God has entrusted to us. Jesus comes to fulfill all righteousness. That means to carry out God’s promises. Righteousness also characterizes proper human response to God, implying faithfulness, obedience, and ethical integrity. As followers of Christ, we are called to righteousness as well. We are called to be servants of one another.

Last week I was on the retreat with other priests of the Archdiocese. Once a year, we gather together for 5 days to reflect on our life and priestly ministries. We are servants of the Lord. We have been called to serve. After a week of retreat, I feel renewed and ready to serve with a renewal spirit. It is important that we know our mission and resolve to fulfill our missions. As a priest, I don’t just say that I want to be a good priest. I have to be a good priest.

If you identify yourself as a Catholic, you don’t just say, “I want to be a good Catholic. But you have to be a good Catholic. You decide to be a good Catholic. If you are a husband, be a good husband. Do not just say that you want to be a good husband. You are expected to be a good husband. You are expected to be a good father. So you have to decide to be a good husband and a good dad. If you are a wife, and a mother, you are expected to be a good wife and a good mother. So do not just say you want to be a good wife; or you want to be a good mother. You must decide to be a good wife and a good mother.

Whoever you are; whatever you do; we do as servants to one another. Like Jesus, we resolve to fulfill our missions here on earth and to help others to fulfill their missions as well.

Homeless man a voice of Hope

For the last few days, the sensational tale about Ted Williams, a homeless man with a golden voice, has been a hot story on the internet and on you tube. His life and career were ruined by drugs and alcohol. He was recently living in a tent. His past includes a lengthy list of arrests. He has served time in prison for theft and forgery and has been cited with numerous misdemeanors, including drug abuse. He asked for a second chance to turn his life around.

Williams was contacted Wednesday by the Cavaliers, who have offered him a position that could include announcing work at Quicken Loans Arena. Oprah Winfrey is also offering him a job on her network.

“I can’t believe what’s going on,” said Williams, “God gave me a million-dollar voice, and I just hope I can do right for him. This has been totally, totally amazing. I’m just so thankful. God has blessed me so deeply. I’m getting a second chance. Amazing!”

Tracy Marek, the team’s senior vice president of marketing for the Cavaliers said, “We did not know much about him, but were touched by his ordeal. When you know something’s right, you just have to launch. (Associated Press, Thursday, January 6th, 2001).

To believe that Jesus is the Son of God is to faithfully fulfilling our missions and to go out there and do something good for others.

Rev. John Kha Tran