PDA

View Full Version : F - Fourth Sunday of Advent (B)

Dan Lee
12-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Fourth Sunday of Advent (B)

Readings

2 Sm 7:1-5,8b-12,14a,16

Rom 16:25-27

Lk 1:26-38

Questions for reflection

1. How does Mary respond to the word of God delivered by the angel Gabriel?

2. How does the angel greet Mary?

3. What was Mary’s final answer to the angel?

4. Do you believe in God’s promises and do you yield to his grace?

5. What are you doing to prepare your heart to be a suitable home for God this Advent?

Reflection

http://www.thanhlinh.net/MucVuTre/Reflection.jpg

It is a great joy for a mother to give birth to her baby. The great moment comes after weeks of anxious expectation, getting new clothes for the baby, preparing everything necessary. Because the mother carries the baby in her womb, there is a special bond between the mother and child. During Advent we have been thinking of Mary bearing Jesus in her womb. During Advent we remember Jesus growing silently in Mary’s womb. Now on this last Sunday of Advent we think more about Mary. Israel had been awaiting its Messiah for hundreds of years. We could imagine that it was the dream of many a young Jewish girl to give birth to the Messiah. But when the great moment came, Mary was confused. The angel said, “Do not be afraid.” What was Mary’s response? “Be it done unto me according to your word.” Her response was faith. She believed. She said “Yes” and she conceived Jesus in her womb. In our times we like to have everything explained to us scientifically. If something does not stand up to science, some do not believe. Faith means believing what science cannot prove. That was the faith that Mary had. Mary was humble; that was why she was able to make the greatest act of faith in history. Mary said one word, “Amen,” conceiving Jesus in faith, and then she conceived Jesus in her womb. Every time we say “Amen” to God, we conceive Jesus in faith as Mary did. Then when we act on Jesus’ words, we bring Jesus into the world as Mary did. Let us say “Amen” to God and bring Jesus into the world this Christmas.

Prayer

http://www.thanhlinh.net/MucVuTre/Prayer.jpg

Loving God, you offer us abundant grace, mercy and forgiveness through you Son, Jesus Christ. Help me to live a grace filled life as Mary did by believing in your promises and by saying “yes” to your will and plan for my life. Amen.